Strategies for Stress Management
How does stress hit you?
In a serious or life threatening illness, there can be many layers of imbalance. To live life without love, compassion, or any other spiritual value, creates such a state of severe imbalance that every cell yearns to correct it. Ultimately that is what lies behind onset of disease. An imbalance existing somewhere, has given rise to highly visible, unarguable, physical symptoms.
Negative thoughts, occur when you do self-pity, criticize yourself, doubt your own knowledge and ability to perform and succeed, expect nothing but defeat / rejection / denial and failure. Negative thinking is negative side of suggestion – it damages confidence, impairs performance, and paralyses mental skills / abilities to face rough weather.
Examples of Negative Thoughts
- Worries about how you appear to others
- Preoccupation of symptoms of stress
- Imagining consequences of poor performance
- Negative self-criticism (I am not O.K.)
- Inadequacy feeling about self worth.
Impact of Stress: – Physiological
- Avoiding uncertainties / Playing safe
- Excessive day dreaming / Fantasizing
- Sexual / Romantic indiscretions
- Sudden increase in smoking / drinking
- Use of antidepressants, tranquilizers
- Vague / irrelevant speech / writing
- Excessive worrying over trivial matters
- Constant reference to death / suicide
- Insomnia / sleep disorders
- Missing target / Deadlines
- Confusing / forgetting dates, places, names
- Compulsive / obsessive behavior
- Low self esteem / morale / confidence
Effect of Thought on health and body
This body is the servant of the mind. It dutifully obeys the operations of the mind, whether they be deliberately chosen or automatically expressed. At the bidding of unlawful thoughts, the body sinks rapidly into diseases and decay, whereas at the command of gladdening and beautiful thoughts, it becomes clothed with youthfulness and beauty.
Human body is a miraculous gift of nature and is a tape recording machine. All actions performed by man at three levels of thought, speech and physical action are miraculously, accurately and secretly recorded by the subconscious mind on the tape of subtle consciousness, which eventually becomes man’s record on the basis of which his destiny is determined.
- Being critical / cynical
- Suspicious of other motives
- Over reacting
- Making fuss
- Making unrealistic judgment
- Being cynical
Long term Physical Impact
These occur where your body has been exposed to adrenaline over a long period. One of the ways adrenaline prepares you for action is by diverting resources to the muscles from the areas of the body that carry out body maintenance. This means that if you are exposed to adrenaline for a sustained period, then your health may start to deteriorate. This may show up in the following ways.
- Change in appetite (over eating / under eating)
- Frequent bouts of cold, back pain, neck pain, headaches
- Digestive problems
- Skin eruptions
- Sexual disorders / lack of interest in sex
- Feeling of tiredness’
- Does not feel energetic
- Increased blood pressure
- Disturbed sleep
- Cardiac Problems